Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lexi's 1st Birthday, Part 1 - The Plan

As I was driving around town today, I heard them discussing the after-Christmas blues that inevitably start creeping up after the whole holiday wonderful-ness tapers off ... They wanted to know what people do to help ease the after-Christmas blues (which I think is a made-up thing, I don't remember ever suffering from such a thing ... It may have something to do with my birthday being 6 days after Christmas tho, hmmm...)

Anyways, having just come from the Dollar Tree where I dropped a whopping $37 on "stuff" for Lexi's birthday party, I decided that the best way to beat these so-called blues is by having your baby's first birthday party to plan in January, it's working for me! =)

I won't lie, I have been scouring the web, magazines, pinterest, any site I can find related to "baby girl first birthday party ideas" in search of the perfect theme. I have come across ideas like owls, john deere and of course, princesses. But each idea I found just wasn't quite right. Some had obvious flaws in my eyes (I mean, who really throws their baby girl a pink John Deere themed party anyways??) ...

The owl theme was witty (sayings like "look whoooo's 1" and "owl be 1") but, maybe it's just me, when I think of owl, I associate them with the oldest and wisest characters in a Disney movie... Just doesn't scream 1-year-old baby to me ...

Then there is the princess theme. As much as I absolutely LOVE all things sparkly, it just seems so cliche to do a princess party. (I'm not gonna lie though, there will be a tutu for my little princess at her party regardless...)
 
So, what to do? 

Finally, in a burst of pure genius, I got it ... who needs a real theme? Ok, granted maybe that isn't genius, but I did decided to just go with random shades of pink as my "theme" ... I even have a name for it, "Pretty in Pink" so I guess that makes it an official theme. =)

After coming to this conclusion (some might argue that it should not have taken me weeks to stumble upon this idea, however to those people I say, it was still totally worth the searching because I love planning things like this =) I started searching for "pink" ideas. It has been a gold mine (or rather, a "pink" mine ... ok, too corny) of ideas and I can't wait to put them all to use! Things like giant pink marshmallows and strawberry wafer crackers for the tiny guests (really, it's perfect) and hot-gluing glass candlestick holders to glass jars to make apothecary jars ... for $2!

Here are a few of my inspirations ....





So excited! I will be sure to take pictures of my crafty endeavors and keep you posted in Part 2 
(coming soon ... relatively speaking =P)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Noel,

    I have to tell you about Christen Spratt. Her estsy site is designsbymarygrace.etsy.com. She is local and her paper decorations like pinwheels and cupcake decor are sooo cute. Happy First Birthday Lexi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Editor's note: Apparently marshmallows are not a brilliant idea, in fact, I've been informed that they are rather a big choking risk and so, wanting all of our guests to live though the party, I will be chucking that idea ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mesmerizing first birthday party planning! Got to know about various amazing event venues from online searches at the outskirts of our city. Dance party with friends is on my mind on our graduation day. Will arrange a superb dinner with desserts and drinks. Also music will be done. Will ask everyone about their opinions too.

    ReplyDelete